Here are a few tips for creating a moving plan from our Moving Connections team! Having a moving plan in place will help you manage your time more efficiently and will minimize those last minute surprises.
1. Start early – Almost everyone has more stuff than they think they do, and almost no one leaves enough time to pack it.
2. Room Lists – Start by forming two room lists, one for your current place and one for your future place. This will help you manage what has to go where.
3. Room Inventory – Go to each room and write down the types of things that need to be packed: furniture items, length of shelving, closets, etc.
4. Time Allotment – Make sure to leave enough time. The most common timeframe reported by people moving is that it takes a month to pack. One study reported that it takes 4-5 hours to pack an average dorm room, so that should give you an idea of what’s involved.
5. Calendar – Pull out a calendar and plan by day when each room will be completed.
6. Delegation – If you’re moving with family members, agree with them exactly which tasks they will be doing and the date they will be finished.
7. Track your progress – at least once per week track where you are against the date on the calendar. Revise your plan if you’re falling behind.
For help with your next move, please contact Moving Connections at (801) 532-6683 or Email Us